Toe Up Socks with Amanda
Learn to knit socks from the toe up! This 4 week class is perfect for the first-time sock knitter or the knitter who's been wanting to try socks from a different direction. You'll learn how to cast on at the toes, knit in the round using the Magic Loop technique (double-pointed needles are welcome, too!), calculate a perfect fit, turn the heel, and cast off using a stretchy method. (For those of you already familiar with a little sock lingo, we'll be working a German Short-Row Heel, using Judy's Magic Cast On, and Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off.) You'll learn troubleshooting, customization, and fixing, too. A welcoming, fun class to introduce you to sock knitting.
Dates: Thursday, November 14, 21, 28, and December 5
Time: 10:00 am to 12:00 p.m.
For thick, fast socks:
- Yarn: SandnesGarn Perfect DK-weight sock yarn, 2 balls of main colour, 1 ball of toe/heel/cuff colour.
- Needles: One 3.25 mm circular needle, 80 cm in length.
For fine, thinner socks:
- Yarn:100 g (about 400 m) fingering-weight sock yarn, any kind. (For optional contrasting heels & toes, you'll need about 25 g of another colour as well).
- Needles: One 2.25 mm circular needle, 80 cm in length.
- blunt yarn darner
- sharp yarn darner
- removable stitch markers
- All your other knitting "stuff" (tape measures, pen or pencil and notebook, etc.)
Note: There will be no refunds later than one week before the start of the class.